A parliamentary science champion, an international force for tackling climate change, solar panel innovators and computer science advocates are among the game-changing group of Fellows elected this year to the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE).
ATSE’s 2022 new Fellows are leaders in their fields spanning structural engineering, research commercialisation, sustainable technology and mining, marine modelling, and cutting-edge health systems.
Professor the Hon. Kim Carr FTSE, former Senator from Victoria, has been named as Honorary Fellow for championing the vital need for and possibilities of science over many years in federal politics, and his unstinting advocacy for Australian innovation and industry.
Health technology innovators Professor Madhu Bhaskaran FTSE and Professor Mary Foley FTSE are transforming the health care landscape. Professor Bhaskaran’s life-saving work can be integrated into mattresses for improved monitoring in aged care, intensive care, and for SIDS. Professor Foley has led the National Cancer Screening Register and innovative virtual care during the pandemic.
Renowned climate change researcher and advisor, Professor Mark Howden FTSE has been a member of an extraordinary 20 Intergovernmental Panels on Climate Change processes since 1991, sharing the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with other IPCC participants and Al Gore.
Distinguished Professor Dietmar W. Humacher FTSE FAHMS has changed the way young children and babies are treated for skull injuries and congenital deformities with his revolutionary approach to 3D printed scaffold-guided tissue regeneration.
The new Fellows also count trailblazers in technology education, which is essential to build Australia’s skilled workforce of the future. Professor Katrina Falkner FTSE is a top 100 innovator completely transforming computer science education. Her work directly addresses inequities in access to technology, helping to build a fairer Australia. Richard White FTSE has over 30 years’ experience in software development, including global logistics software servicing 18,000 customers across 170 countries. He has recently announced the establishment of his STEM Education Foundation to make quality computer education available free of charge to Australian school students.
ATSE President Hugh Bradlow said the new Fellows are shaping Australia’s technology powered human driven future.
“Elected by their peers, ATSE Fellows are leaders in applied science, technology and engineering and we celebrate their exceptional professional contributions to Australian STEM innovation,” Professor Bradlow said.
“While the 2022 new Fellows span multiple critical industries, we are pleased to welcome so many at the forefront of tackling climate change. They are creating better batteries to support renewable energy supplies, increasing efficiency and flexibility of solar cells and panels, and sustainable mining practices.
“As we face the repeated effects of increased flooding events, they are shaping the way humanity monitors water quality, models marine environments for food and agriculture, advances water catchment policy, and develops best practices for dam and bridge construction.”
Aidan Muirhead, Manager – Communications
0409 856 886
FULL LIST OF 2022 NEW FELLOWS:
- Dr Nicholas Austin FTSE / Water partnership builder / Chief Executive Officer, Watertrust Australia Ltd. (ACT)
- Professor Madhu Bhaskaran FTSE / Health tech innovator / Co-leader, Functional Materials and Microsystems Research Group, RMIT University (VIC)
- Professor Michael Breadmore FTSE / Global chemistry leader / Director, Australian Centre for Research on Separation Science (ACROSS), University of Tasmania (TAS)
- Professor Kylie Catchpole FTSE / Solar energy expert / Deputy Director, School of Engineering, Australian National University (ACT)
- Professor Michelle Colgrave FTSE / Agriculture & food innovator / Future Protein Mission Leader, CSIRO (QLD); Professor, Food and Agricultural Proteomics, Edith Cowan University (WA)
- Dr Elizabeth (Beth) Ebert FTSE / Weather forecast innovator / Senior Principal Research Scientist and Head, Forecast Quality Research, Bureau of Meteorology (VIC)
- Professor Katrina Falkner FTSE / Technology Education equity advocate / Executive Dean, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology, University of Adelaide (SA)
- Professor Mary Foley AM FTSE / Health systems leader / Special adviser and non-executive director, Telstra Health (NSW)
- Professor Maria Forsyth FTSE FAA / Breakthrough battery technologist / Chair in Electromaterials and Corrosion Science, Deakin University (VIC)
- Dr Elizabeth (Beth) Fulton FTSE FAA / Master marine modeler / Senior Principal Research Scientist, CSIRO (TAS)
- Professor Xiaojing Hao FTSE / Global solar-tech creator / Professor, School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering, University of New South Wales (NSW)
- Janine Herzig FTSE / Resources Efficiency champion / Executive President and Director, CEEC International (SA)
- Professor Mark Howden FTSE / Global climate change authority / Director, Australian National University’s Institute for Climate, Energy and Disaster Solutions (ACT)
- Distinguished Professor Dietmar W. Hutmacher FTSE FAHMS / Regenerative medicine trailblazer / Chair in Regenerative Medicine, Queensland University of Technology; Co-Director, Max Planck Queensland Centre for the Materials Science of Extracellular Matrices (QLD)
- Scientia Professor Nasser Khalili FTSE / International infrastructure innovator / Head, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of New South Wales; Director, ARC Industry Transformation Research Hub for Resilient and Intelligent Infrastructure Systems (RIIS) (NSW)
- Professor Michael Milford FTSE / Neurosci-to-navigation translator / Joint Director, QUT Centre for Robotics; Australian Research Council Laureate Fellow, Queensland University of Technology (QLD)
- Professor Ann Nicholson FTSE / Applied AI expert / Dean, Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University (VIC)
- Professor Thas Nirmalathas FTSE / Optical & wireless communications innovator / Deputy Dean (Research), Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, University of Melbourne (VIC)
- Kirsten Rose FTSE / Sustainable tech futurist / Executive Director, Future Industries, CSIRO (WA)
- Dr John (Jack) Steele FTSE / Bio research commercialiser / Director, Science Impact and Policy, CSIRO (NSW)
- Professor Brian Uy FTSE / Structural engineering leader / Head, School of Civil Engineering, University of Sydney (NSW)
- Richard White FTSE / Tech entrepreneur & education advocate / Chief Executive Officer and Founder, WiseTech Global (NSW)
- Merryn York FTSE / Energy systems leader / Executive General Manager System Design, Australian Energy Market Operator (QLD)
- Professor Wei Zhang FTSE / Marine bio-tech innovator / Research Director, Marine Bioproducts Cooperative Research Centre; Founding Director, Centre for Marine Bioproducts Development, Flinders University (SA)
- Professor Huijun Zhao FTSE FAA / Sensing technology champion / Director, Centre for Catalysis and Clean Energy, Griffith University (QLD)
- Foreign Fellow Dr Rajendra Paroda FTSE / Global agriculture authority / Chair, Trust for Advancement of Agricultural Sciences (Delhi, India)
- Honorary Fellow Professor the Hon. Kim Carr FTSE / Political science & tech champion / Former Senator for Victoria (VIC)