The Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) recommends that the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) focus on the following seven priorities in the next 12 months:
• Global Health and Health Security
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
• Ageing and Aged Care
• Digital Health Intelligence
• Clinical Researcher Capacity
• Drug Repurposing (and Clinical Trials)
• Public Health Interventions
ATSE has based these priorities on research from our recently completed report on technology readiness in the Australian healthcare sector, supported by the Australian Research Council. 1 ATSE’s report recommends a shift in focus to prevention and wellness, supported by rapid expansion of electronic health records; improved access through telemedicine and remote technology; retraining and upskilling the healthcare workforce; and targeted translation and commercialisation of research to deliver better patient outcomes.
Download the Submission to read more.