A Nobel Prize laureate, leaders tackling the Aussie engineering shortage, climate change innovators, research translation superstars, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander STEM education champions are among the distinguished cohort of Fellows elected to the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE) this year.
The 2023 new ATSE Fellows have been chosen for their game-changing contributions in fields spanning artificial intelligence, marine biology, photonics, cancer therapy, battery and energy innovation, and more.
Noongar woman Professor Sandra Eades AO FTSE FASSA FAHMS, Australia’s first Aboriginal medical doctor to be awarded a PhD, has been named as an Honorary Fellow for her contributions to epidemiology research and education in Aboriginal child health.
Dr Sangeeta Bhatia FTSE is a nano tissue technologist who develops miniature technologies which mimic those found in the body. Her world-leading technology includes human micro-livers, to test new drugs and study liver disease.
Professor Brian Schmidt AC FTSE FAA FRS, outgoing ANU Vice-Chancellor, has been elected for his world transforming career as an innovator, educator, and communicator. In 2011, Professor Schmidt jointly won the Nobel Prize for Physics for discovering the accelerated expansion of our universe.
Laser technology has been transformed by innovations from Professor Yue Gao FTSE. He is the creator of the artificial star (known as a laser guide star) – which helps astronomers to calibrate their telescopes, and has designed a fully automated laser system for accurately tracking tiny space debris smaller than 10cm, safeguarding Australian satellites used for environmental monitoring and bushfire tracking.
CEO and Managing Director of the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), Daniel Westerman FTSE, is a national leader in Australia’s transition to net zero emissions. Daniel advises Australian governments and is a trusted communicator, guiding the public through this crucial time of energy crisis and low-emissions transition.
Cabrogal woman Mikaela Jade FTSE is a passionate advocate for using emerging tech to amplify connection to Traditional Knowledge and culture. Mikaela founded Australia’s first Indigenous edu-tech company, Indigital, which uses technologies – like AI – as a pathway to learning Indigenous heritage and teaching digital skills.
ATSE President Dr Katherine Woodthorpe AO FTSE said the new Fellows are creating a better Australia through their work.
“As we face global challenges such as climate change, the digitisation of our economy and the massive challenge of building a diverse and skilled STEM workforce, technological innovation is the lynchpin for shaping our future. It’s looking bright thanks to the extraordinary contributions of our 33 newest Fellows.”
“It is a proud moment to be elected by your peers and acknowledged for your lifelong achievements. ATSE Fellows are truly exceptional at what they do, and Australia is all the better for them.”
– ENDS –
Media contact: Alexandra Horvat, Communications Manager
– Alexandra.email@example.com, 0458 892 825
The full list of ATSE’s 2023 new Fellows:
Australian Capital Territory
- Professor Yue Gao FTSE / Space and defence laser innovator / Chief Scientist and Director DEP, EOS Defence Systems Pty Ltd
- Mikaela Jade FTSE / Trailblazing edutech entrepreneur / Founder & CEO, Indigital Pty Ltd
- Professor Yun Liu FTSE / Advanced materials chemist / ARC Georgina Sweet Australian Laureate Fellow, Australian National University
- Professor Anna Moore FTSE / Astronomer, inventor, pioneer / Director, ANU Institute for Space, Australian National University
- Professor Brian Schmidt AC FTSE FAA FRS / STEM research & education leader / Vice Chancellor, Australian National University
New South Wales
- Dr Therese Flapper FTSE / Water sustainability superpower / General Manager – Canberra Region and Group Environment Social Governance Leader, TSA Management
- Professor Stephen Foster FTSE / Structural engineering specialist / Dean, Faculty of Engineering, University of New South Wales
- Professor Anna Giacomini FTSE / Rockfall mechanics maestro / Professor, School of Engineering, College of Engineering, Science and Environment, University of Newcastle
- Professor Susanne Hermesch FTSE / Livestock genetics expert / Professor, Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit, University of New England
- Jane MacMaster FTSE / National engineering influencer / Chief Engineer, Engineers Australia
- Professor Christopher Matthews FTSE / Indigenous education champion / Associate Dean, Indigenous Leadership and Engagement, University of Technology Sydney
- Su McCluskey FTSE / Agriculture advocate / Special Agricultural Trade Representative, DAFF
- Dr Glenn Platt FTSE / Renewable energy changemaker / Executive Director, Emergent Group; Professor of Practice, University of Sydney; Director, Ampcontrol
- Distinguished Professor Vivian Tam FTSE / Green construction innovator / Distinguished Professor, Western Sydney University
- Professor David Taubman FTSE / Digital media expert / Deputy Head of School (Research), UNSW Sydney
- Sally-Ann Williams FTSE / Innovation leader / Chief Executive Officer & Executive Director, Cicada Innovations
- Honorary Fellow, Professor Sandra Eades AO FTSE FASSA FAHMS / Indigenous health trailblazer / Associate Dean (Indigenous), Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne
- Professor Joanna Batstone FTSE/ Responsible AI champion / Director and Professor of Practice, Monash Data Futures Institute, Monash University
- Professor David Grayden FTSE / Brain decoder & entrepreneurial mentor / Clifford Chair of Neural Engineering, University of Melbourne
- Professor Baohua Jia FTSE / Phototonics game-changer / Professor, RMIT University
- Professor Guillaume Lessene FTSE / Cancer therapy designer / Head of the New Medicines and Advanced Theme, WEHI
- Professor Tuan Ngo FTSE / Sustainable building specialist / Professor and Research Program Leader of Building 4.0 CRC, University of Melbourne
- Lara Olsen FTSE / Sustainable technology leader / Managing Director (AUS), South East Water
- Daniel Westerman FTSE / Energy transition expert / Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Australian Energy Market Operator
- Adjunct Professor Daniel Lambert FTSE / World water engineer / Chief Executive Officer, WaterStart Australia
- Professor Chamindie Punyadeera FTSE / Biomedical innovator / Professor, Griffith University
- Dr Penny Stewart FTSE / Industrial data science entrepreneur/ Chief Executive, PETRA Data Science
- Dr Susannah Eliott FTSE / Science communicator & evidence advocate / Chief Executive Officer, Australian Media Centre
- Professor Bronwyn Gillanders FTSE / Oceans advocate / Head of School, School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide
- Professor Zaiping Guo FTSE FAA / Cutting-edge battery innovator / Deputy Director, ARC Research Hub for SafeREnergy
- Professor Graham Nathan FTSE / Decarbonisation developer / Professor, University of Adelaide
- Dr Alistair Hobday FTSE / Marine sustainability steward / Research Director, Sustainable Marine Futures, CSIRO
- Foreign Fellow Dr Sangeeta Bhatia FTSE / Tissue technologist & entrepreneur / Director, Marble Center for Cancer Nanomedicine, Massachusetts Institute of Technology